Prediction of APOEL vs Borussia Dortmund – 18 October 2017
Being in the group of hell, APOEL did not really expect when entertaining Borussia Dortmund in the third match of Group H Champions League on Wednesday morning. However, Borussia Dortmund also did not have a good performance in the last few games. They have just been beaten by Real Madrid at Signal Iduna Park in the previous game.
APOEL itself in all competitions this season is not quite good enough. Victory in the domestic game on Friday, making them recorded three wins, two draws and four defeats in the last 9 games. However, playing at home, APOEL should be cautious with the support of their fans.
The weekend was a bad weekend for Borussia Dortmund. Where they have to accept defeat against RB Leipzig at home, this defeat is their first defeat in the Bundesliga this season. With the defeat against Leipzig, Dortmund are currently only two points away from Bayern Munich.
Newly defeated, BVB will certainly begin to rotate their all-out squad for the Champions League and Bundesliga. Facing APOEL certainly can be a show for Peter Bosz to play the second tier players. The combination of Mahmoud Dahoud and Mario Gotze is worth a try by the coach, given the squad rotation.
Data and Facts of Both Teams:
– This game is the first time APOEL and Borussia Dortmund meet in the Champions League.
– Facing APOEL in the early hours of the day, is the first fight against Cyprus from Borussia Dortmund in history.
– This match is the 9th match of APOEL against representatives of Germany, and has already lost seven defeats.
– APOEL’s only victory against the Germans, as they face Berliner Dynamo in the 1980/81 Champions League with a 2-1 win at Nicosia.
– APOEL’s last encounter against the Bundesliga team against Schalke, in the Europa League group group 2015/16 ago.
– APOEL has never recorded a victory in the Champions League group stage, since beating Olympique Lyonnais 1-0 in the last 16 on March 7, 2012 ago.
– The defeat of Tottenham in the first game, making Dortmund swallowed three defeats in three away games in a row in the Champions League.
– BVB only recorded one win from their last seven European competitions, the rest ended with a draw and five defeats.
– Marc Bartra has faced APOEL while helping Barcelona to a 5-0 aggregate win in the 2014/15 group stages.
– Nuri Sahin has also faced APOEL when Real Madrid knocked them out in the quarterfinals of 2011/12.
– Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored 15 goals in his last 12 appearances for BVB this season.
– Lukasz Piszczek suffered a knee injury while defending Poland in qualifying against Montenegro on Oct. 8 yesterday, and is likely to return early next year.
– Nuri Sahin crossed out of the Turkish team due to back problems on October 6 yesterday, but returned to play when BVB faced Leipzig last weekend.
– Marcel Schmelzer, Andre Schurrle and Raphael Guerreiro who had previously suffered an injury, have also returned to training earlier this week.
– Erik Durm, Sebastian Rode and Marco Reus are Dortmund players who must be absent for very long.